So you want a better fashion/beauty blog? Fashion/beauty blogs are huge right now and the tips below can help your blog stand out from the majority.
1. Create a Brand
One of the main things you can do to set yourself apart is to create a brand and have a unique point of view. Find your niche and what you are truly interested in and decide what you want to focus on, because if you are too broad you won’t stand out from the masses. For instance, Nailed It (pictured below), is a blog that is dedicated to nail art and all the latest nail polish trends. Next, determine if your domain name is memorable and something that allows readers to instantly know what it’s about. Consider buying a custom domain name as when Tumblr, Blogger, WordPress, Wix, or Weebly host your blog for free, they essentially own it. Additionally, having a domain name such as .tumblr.com or .weebly.com does not exactly establish credibility. Choose your audience and who you want to your blog to be aimed at, which will in turn help determine the content of your blog. Be aware of this audience when choosing your layout, colours, and style of writing for your blog posts. Target specifically to keep your subscribers engaged and follow-up with quality content. Remember it is the quality of posts, not quantity.
2. Network, Network, Network
Start searching about the best beauty/fashion bloggers, for instance, Style Like You , Anne Street Studio, and The Beauty Department are great blogs to draw inspiration from. Share their content to your own blog and social media platforms and let them know that you mentioned them to try to establish a relationship. Additionally, tag brands in your posts and reach out to them to collaborate with. They can send you products to review, you can write sponsored posts, be a brand ambassador etc. You should also stay up-to date with all the upcoming trends through joining Facebook groups related to your niche and active forums where you can discuss topics with other like-minded individuals such as MakeupAlley, Beautylish, SheSaidBeauty, and Independent Fashion Bloggers. For instance, the Fashion Blogger Cafe (pictured below), is a German fashion blogger event with a day full of networking.
3. Take High-Quality Photos
People are more likely to enjoy and share your blog if you include an array of high-quality photos. Aesthetic and having a visually pleasing website is one of the most important ways to differentiate your blog. So how exactly do you take great photos?! Some main tips include:
- Find a decent, uncomplicated background
- Find good lighting
- Use grid lines to balance your shot
- Focus on one subject
- Use apps to enhance your photos such as Afterlight, Snapseed, VSCO or the Instagram filters
Although professional cameras can be a good investment, smart phone cameras today are continuously improving. For more information on how to take better picture with your smartphone, click here.
4. Be Consistent
In today’s dynamic world, followers appreciate post consistency. Regularly updating your website and social media platforms with quality content is one of the best ways to grow your readership. For instance, consider posting 2-3 times a week on designated days and times. Having the content to post frequently can be done by staying up-to-date on popular events and adapting to changes in trends in your posts. For instance, Pretty Connected (pictured below) generally posts daily.
5. Use Social Media to Boost Exposure
While it goes without saying you should be active and create quality content on relevant social media platforms, what exactly does that mean?
- Post your outfit of the day (#OOTD) – fashion lovers enjoy staying up to date on the latest trends and the newest stores to shop at. Make sure you also tag the stores where the clothes are from to create relationships with those brands.
- Add a social sharing button to your blog posts – in order to make your posts easy to share, add social buttons to your post.
- Consider making a YouTube channel – the YouTube beauty and fashion community is one of the largest on YouTube. A YouTube channel is a great way to supplement your blog and provide additional insight into your life.
- Write catchy headlines that people will want to share.
- Display social media icons near the top of your website – Make it as simple as possible for your followers to connect with you on different platforms.
- Use your blog name as your username whenever possible – Promote your personal brand and blog by being consistent and using your blog name for your Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, Pinterest etc. Also, be sure to share your blog posts across your various social media channels.
Running a fashion and beauty blog is tough but the results can be worth it. Although, do not expect to see results overnight, it takes time to develop readership and loyal followers.
For a Step-by-Step Guide on How to Create a Blog:
More Additional Resources: